Wednesday, February 27, 2008

to be or not to be....

Are we truly happy? Do we even know what it means to be happy and what it takes to achieve happiness? I realized that these are important questions for anyone who is seeking happiness to ask themselves. I have and will continue to live my life to maintain my own happiness while trying my best to not cause unhappiness to anyone else. I realized that as Indians we often thanked or cursed external agencies for usual happenings in life – like an accident, success, wealth etc etc.


We often fail to realize that if one wants to be happy, he/she must ensure his/her own happiness and not judge the happiness through media hyped happiness quotient. I have met numerous people especially woman who make the mistake of believing that they don’t deserve happiness and accept their unhappy state as their destiny. The truth of the matter is that happiness, like anything else in life, needs to be nurtured – everyone has his own definition of happiness.


Never fall prey trying to measure up your happiness through someone else’s scale. The end result mostly will be utter failure. I have seen people switch jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, cities, and houses – all in a journey to be happy – and when I asked them if they were happy then, the glum look or a smirk on their faces said it all.


I realized hence everyone is unique and so are their aspirations, choices and hence the outcome. Aping can take one some distance not the whole way. So my advise to all who switched/are switching stuff in their lives is to step back and think – what is it they are running for. Is it a plum job, is it a certain sum of money, a house in the countryside, family maybe a sports car – general aspirations of the Indian middle class. Maybe in a pursuit of all those, we miss out on life – and at the end it’s usually too late.


Then again am I any different?


Sometimes a sudden yank can change your life considerably I realized – maybe for a moment we bask in our happiness and glory. But after all the mind is hardwired to find happiness in mostly all things we humans do. After all we Indians all are in “the pursuit of happiness”, together.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: