Friday, February 22, 2008

re-defining Gandhi.....

Friday afternoon I was gazing into my crystal ball G-O-O-G-L-E and posting random comments on blogs, the teachings of Gandhi struck my mind. To be honest I was never a big fan of Mahatma Gandhi (being a self-confessed go-getter) or his ways of non-violence, but i do appreciate the way he achieved the end result.

We as Indians complain all the time, we speak of problems, the govt, the social evils, education etc etc - the list is long. Its only a handful of people who actually make things happen - are the harbingers of change. Somewhere down suddenly I realized that I was a part of the ever increasing Indian population who vouch that change is essential and its change that can lead Indian into the next big league. But what is it the last 26 years of my life, that I have done - that has actually helped (in the smallest possible way) affect India and its citizens. I was hard pressed for answer. Yes a stint for some time teaching young kids from a slum around IIT, Hauz Khas, Delhi for free - that somewhere gave me a sense of purpose - but that was it. I got lost somewhere - in this maze of making a life easy, facilitating things for me and my near ones - somewhere I lost note of the fact, that as humans we have a bigger purpose.

It’s not who we live as, but how many lives we touch in our lives that ultimately matters. Gandhi redefined himself in my mind. No longer was he a person responsible for India's freedom in a big way, but was a man who transpired to the next level by his thoughts, social responsibility and actions.

I salute Bapu........

PS: These are few of his quotes - hope they strike a cord with peoples minds as they did with mine.


Faith... Must be enforced by reason...When faith becomes blind it dies.


Be the change you want to see in the world.


An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind.


A weak man is just an accident. A strong but non-violent man is unjust by accident.


A 'NO' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'YES' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.


Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: