Friday, February 8, 2008

do we care??

Sometimes it really does bother me how there seems to be a lack of care in society these days. Oh and I do not read the tabloid newspapers and try not to watch the news. Just going around the town (Pune) it does seem quite clear that often there are people who have no consideration for others.

I think respect is something that should be afforded to people, and although I think it is something that should be earned..I feel it is better to give it until someone proves they are not worthy of it.

This happened this afternoon when I was waiting for a bus to take me to a cooking gas distribution center, (Alas India!!! We are still behind the ROW in providing people basic amenities)…………I saw a rather elderly gentleman waiting for the bus, he looked like he had mobility problems. Everyone rushed to jump on the bus in front of him nearly knocking him over. I moved out of the way and said he could go before me, cue a lot of people behind me tutting and sighing. Since when has being courteous to someone become something that should be frowned upon? I always feel that since life is so short we should do our utmost to treat others well. Why waste it by being rude………..what do you gain from that? Okay so you might save 3 seconds on your journey...but is that really something to value?

If care and consideration for others was still being imparted by parents I do think that maybe some of the apathy that seems to be prevalent in society would subside. I know it is not a solution as such but it is just an ideal of mine.

I know I am not perfect, I did find myself once wondering about why a suicidal person decided to throw themselves in front of a train, and thought about how it would affect me. I do feel guilty about this; my first thoughts should have been with the poor human being who had been suffering that much that they decided to end their life.

I of all people should know better than that considering I've attempted to take my own life in the past. Society does seem to be all me, me, me lately........I could philosophize on why that is but I do not think it would solve much. What I will do though is try to make my best effort to ensure that I treat people well and that I make sure that I do something worthwhile with the short time I have. My life goal is to be doing something to help others. With my family and the way I was raised, I might not feel like this.............always but I do feel like I really am a product of my upbringing, and to waste that would be quite sad.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes we do care....but only behind those bowed heads,high sighs...& exchange of sly glances...Sad ....yet true....