Friday, May 23, 2008

the perils of technology....


Disaster struck last night. The energy source that nourishes life around it, was compromised and everything went cold and bleak.

Or so I thought, for a couple of hours. Electricity from MSEB went ka-putt and we the lesser mortals at Magarpatta, Pune were the victims. After some time being extremely frustrated about it (that too around 2 am at night), I realized that the situation was not so bad. Although it was peak summer mild climate of Pune (nights are actually better here) put me into ease as I strolled on the fantastic (if not useable – questionable) terrace that my flat provided. And as I walked and looked into the sky I saw a picture that I had not reveled in for quite some time. A beautiful night sky with stars glittering as far as the eye could see – a picture I had seen almost everyday as a group of friends chatting all night as Nescafe’s or the lawn outside the security office or the wind-T at the IIT. Nostalgia……..gripped me.


Again my mind got thinking – how we have evolved as humans. Technology has made life simpler – the television to kill time, computers, and mobile phones – everything leading to life being simpler – or it? There are so many things available at the touch of a button, that the line between luxury and necessity has been removed long back. How many things are really necessary for survival? Is technology achieving it's goal of making our lives simpler?


Probably, I should visit Japan again. Time to see how ancient tradition and ultra-modern technology co-exist side by side.


Now that’s something I have put up in my agenda as of now.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: