Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hallelujah……… Web 2.0


I remember when as a child we used to send letters to my grandma – who stayed just 6 hours away from Calcutta (trunk-calls were difficult and expensive at those times). It used to be a ceremony. We used to put it in envelope, put the stamps on it, write the address and send it. And then, we used to wait for the answer, which would arrive in about 3-4 weeks time.


Cut to 2007. I have not written a letter in almost two years – the last letter I wrote was to my girlfriend some 3 years back. Come to think of it, I type instead of writing these days. Everyone I know has e-mail and I can contact them on chat/skype, scrap/message them on social networking sites, leave a message on their blog, text them or call them on their mobile. Any of this can be done within minutes. I don't post greeting cards any more. I just pick some 3D multimedia stuff to convey what (I think) I want to say.


I get upset if I don't receive a reply within minutes – checking the mail, social networking sites furiously. The response time has shrunk from days to seconds.


I have no contact with nature either – no trekking, no fun for over a year now. The only contact I have with nature is checking the weather forecast for tomorrow. But that’s all right. I worry more about getting the latest security and antivirus updates for my laptop these days.


I am bombarded with information in all forms every second, twenty four hours a day. My senses have saturated. Games (GTA, AOE, NFS), music (that I hardly understand or listen even for that matter), movies, sports (IPL – a total whitewash for my team), quotes, wildlife, history... you name it, I have got it. There's Wiki, Google, Youtube. A new blog is created every half second – and I keep on adding posts to mine. I use RSS feeds to keep me updated about recent developments and other friends musings. I have no time to reflect.


Hallelujah……… Web 2.0!!!!!

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think i developed a serious case of add because of the net. lol

arlene,
Lakewood flowers