Tuesday, May 20, 2008

dissecting friendship......


This entry is dedicated to the hundreds of wonderful friends out there (didn't realize I had so many!) who have given me the strength to go on the journey, with the guidance of God


Recently one of my well-wishers admittedly criticized me for the definition of friendship I had posted on my blog lately. Since I could not however reply back since the well-wisher had posted the feedback anonymously I could somehow not responded back directly to him/her.


Coming back to it - friendship is a feeling that can be in described in 100 possible ways with anyone being as accurate as the other is describing the sentiments involved in it.


There can be many a number of definitions about friendship but to me it’s just sticking together through the thick and thin of life and not running away at the least opportune moment. I had some many definitions of everything as I grew up – friendship at 10 was different to friendship when I was 20 and it’s evolved to something that will, I guess will stay permanently.


I have discovered lately that some people whom I have perceived all these years to be true to me - are not. Disappointment, sadness, hurt and…...ironically blessed as someone told me that I should feel fortunate to discover this earlier and not later. Overnight, my old friends 'downgraded' to just an acquaintance or as better described by that same someone, fair-weather friends. At the same time there have been a couple of friends who have “upgraded” to the status of best friends for life – and I am damn lucky for that I guess.


Well I guess like every other self-respecting Indian I prefer to die fighting rather than running away. That’s the approach, I guess to true friendship – being there all the time, every time.

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...its definitely good to know that there is an optimistic bunch of ppl who construe friendship as a hopeful piece of boon...The things you've mentioned has its truth.But there r moments in life when u realize that the term "friendship" is the most manipulated among all other relationships...
U've said:
"I have discovered lately that some people whom I have perceived all these years to be true to me - are not. Disappointment, sadness, hurt and…... Overnight, my old friends 'downgraded' to just an acquaintance or as better described by that same someone, fair-weather friends. At the same time there have been a couple of friends who have “upgraded” to the status of best friends for life – and I am damn lucky for that I guess."

It becomes a little unfair when this easiest tag is made to bear the brunt of our undue expectations.We decide the nature & composition of our friendship with different ppl&hence we have several satisfying definitions at our hand's reach..But the moment there is a lateral shift from the prescribed position,the same relationship suddenly becomes a liability&we run down our personal conclusions on it.Isn't it a kind of convenience sought from the most liberal relationship we cn ever have?Why call it friendship then!?Lets call it "convenience at its cheapest rate"!!(waiting for a reply)

[Supra]™ said...

My take on this – humans really sometimes do tend to define relationships and we Indians seem to be more prone to a fault such as this. Our narrow vision/conception of lives and relationships are often the reason for the same. And I would admit I was no different earlier. But maturity has definitely put sense in my head. Sometimes we blame the situation or some invisible force for bringing us in certain circumstances that we are forced to take a decision that diverges from the norm – and at the end we blame everybody else but ourselves. We fail to realize that is a failure of our character – humans are prone to a fault but we can definitely rise higher.

Then again I can continue this argument for the sake of it – but its like arguing a futile fact that we are the only living seemingly intelligent (our definition again) beings on this universe. This is debatable.

Well I have been fortunate enough to have made a couple of good friends in my life – who have always stuck; stayed beside me – admonishing me for my ill-acts, or directing me often when I went wrong or even smothering me when I made the right move. But our relationship was never defined by the transactions that most people tend to relate friendship with. It was not a matter of convenience – but choice. We called it friendship – not the other way round. Maturity and life definitely taught us that lesson – and thankfully I believe the learning curve is never-ending.

PS: Its always how as people we look into relationships and everything else. A glass can bee half-empty of half-full. Its just your take on this. My take is its half a glass away from being full. Well we can argue on that.

Anonymous said...

........:).........
I liked the part where u've written:

"Well I have been fortunate enough to have made a couple of good friends in my life – who have always stuck; stayed beside me – admonishing me for my ill-acts, or directing me often when I went wrong or even smothering me when I made the right move. But our relationship was never defined by the transactions that most people tend to relate friendship with. It was not a matter of convenience – but choice. We called it friendship – not the other way round. Maturity and life definitely taught us that lesson – and thankfully I believe the learning curve is never-ending."

U have been lucky.Sometimes visualizing the other side of the "half-filled glass" is not that plain & simple!May be somethings are never debatable...they are better left without considerations...