Tuesday, March 25, 2008

karma.....the balancing act !!!


Did you ever give karma a thought???

This strange but somehow deep question from my better half a couple of days back caught me on the wrong foot. Well I have tried my level best all my life to ensure that I always had a direct perception of truth and never use it to take advantage. Also whenever I did commit positive deeds, rarely had it been to get ahead in the rat race – it was outcome of the simple fact that the end usually made me happy & satisfied.

But lately I have come across so many people – many my long cherished friends who have somehow lost the way in life, compartmentalizing lives thinking it in terms of boxes. I wish we gave our lives a second thought. We gave karma a thought.


Karma literally means action, whether good or bad, right or wrong. When it comes to spirituality we define it as the fruit of our actions.


Each time we think, speak and act, we are setting into motion the laws of karma. We are planting a seed. The kind of seed we have sown is the nature of the sought, word and action we set in motion; fear, hate, judgment, love, blessing, anger, joy etc. And every time we think and act similarly we are nourishing the seed. The seed eventually grows to a big tree bearing tons of fruits. This is the consequence, our reward or punishment, however one likes to perceive it. We are hated, judged, loved, and blessed many times over depending on what the seed contained when it was first sown. We reap what you sow many times over.

The key to a successful life is the transmutation of karma into dharma. It is the ability to make of the past a prelude to a noble future. Evil is essentially the refusal to move toward the future. The ultimate meaning of karma must be identified with interconnectedness and interpenetration of all there is. Anything is possible because all there is a network of multi-dimensional relationships.

It holds true for every sphere of life even in our careers & every job function I feel – marketing, sales, human resources and so on. Somehow I wish that the present generation can step back and look at the totality of life not at the random opportunities that come their way. It is not the frequent change of jobs, a random increase in pay slip that gives us happiness after all – it is the collective smile on the faces of people we care for, or the number of lives we touch through our actions that ultimately matters.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: