Wednesday, April 2, 2008

natural conclusions......


Some people are just endowed with the ability to make the right decisions at the right time (or at least I believe they have). Look around at hundreds of successful investment bankers or industrialists or even an odd common man who has risen to great heights based of this fact alone.


However when it comes to making decisions in my own life, yours truly has often been swamped with trouble. Advice has not helped much either – people say listen to your heart, chose your gut instinct while management gurus preach us to visualize what we want. There are so many ways to make a decision - (yet all assume) that I know, deep down, what's best. The fact is, I don't know what's best, and really, I never will.


Also, I don't trust my "man" inside either; I'm a typical Indian and tend to be on the overly emotional side. Listening to my heart would cause me to fall in love too fast, make too many purchases (my credit card bills would shoot off the roof), eat and drink too much, basically moderation would be out the door (well it has not happened as of now but I live in the constant fear of this fact).


So what do I do? My past experiences in life generally has helped me develop an innovative yet insane (profoundly) methodology - I take the choices I have, and think which choice - having not been chosen, would I regret the most?


It's the polar opposite of what everyone normally suggests, but I've found it helpful because I also have a fear a failure (who doesn't, right?). That fear sometimes causes me to make the safe choice. What if down the road I look back and think about that choice that wasn't so clear? Will I regret not even trying?


My best friend gave me some similar advice, which was basically that you should choose the option with the most unknowns; it'll be a better learning experience.


Making a decision is difficult and whenever I'm feeling stressed out about it, I also try to remember to be thankful that I have the power to make the choice. Some aren't so lucky I guess


I end this post with one more line that existed on my signature in outlook earlier…….something this Indian follows even to this very day.


Before you start some work, always ask yourself three questions - Why am I doing it, what the results might be and will I be successful. Only when you think deeply and find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: