Monday, June 16, 2008

the fall guys......


I took my seat on a shared auto (a three wheeler of complete fun and joy – akin to a bike but slightly safer………..well almost) in Pune the other day as I was traveling from Hadapsar to M.G.Road. Well there was probably a strike called in by one auto union probably as a measure to counter the govt’s decision to increase fuel prices. I got into a an auto whose driver warned me beforehand that he would probably pick up some more people on the way – his way of making more money that eventful day. As a hapless consumer in India – little could I do in protest but to say humbug and continue to be lost in my thoughts. Everything was fine and the driver turned down some old folks because of the fact he had to take a detour of maybe a mile. Anyway I was pretty happy that in some 30 mins or so I will reach my destination but alas – my joy was to short-lived. This quietness was soon to be destroyed.

As the posh area of Hadapsar became a distant memory the first actual public transport users on the route got on, unfortunately a group of female friends – 3 to be precise decided to wave their arms in unison and get in – the driver was more than happy to oblige. Quite regrettably I had to show my chivalry (not that I have loads of it J ) I had to shovel my way trying to find a nook on the driver’s seat in the front. The auto posed an ugly site, one man against a crowd (read three) of women. I was never going to be the same again, I had no choice but to surrender, my punishment was to have to listen to them cackle on about women's things for the remainder of the journey. My ever rambling thoughts were still not enough to shield my innocent little ears and the junction at M.G. Road near camp seemed like a transatlantic flight at this stage.

Anyway, I'll get on with it. They were going shopping – probably first Laxmi road to pick up some cheap (read inexpensive) stuff and then probably flaunt their goods at the mall. And the description of t-shirts, lingerie and the works left me bewildered – how could these women spend so much time discussin such trivial issue – but then again I was but a mere mortal here trying to survive the journey. One of the birds shouted to her mate (translated in English it goes on………) "Kiran was at this last night, she was trying desperately to fit into size 30 jeans – but the binge at a couple of weddings left her in a plight with the improbable reality of not fitting in", while another went on “ The guy at college who she was seeing was probably two-timing her and hence she decided to do the same”. Then it started – the fact that mankind (read men) was probably the most inexplicable, untrustworthy, species on the planet – this was blatantly sloganized ( I coined the term from the innumerable rallies called by the Left Front Govt. that had become a way of life in Calcutta) by the chicks (read girls) in the back.


And no I for once did not complain – surprisingly. It was then I realized that age & experience gives us the realization and the vision to see things in different light – things which are important and those which are irrelevant. Thank God – I did not get into a discussion with those beautiful ladies regarding their beliefs – I let nature take its own course of action.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: